Watch the video pausing as needed to explore.
Rationale and Objectives for this Professional Learning
This is a video lesson specifically designed for special education teachers using technology. This lesson is filled with resources for all different types of learners.
Each student that works with a special education teacher deserves the very best high quality resources, this is what I have prepared for you in this lesson.
Outcomes After Watching the Video
- After the lesson special education teachers will be able to articulate the difference between a growth mindset and a fixed mindset.
- After the lesson teachers will have new strategies to work with students.
- As a result of the lesson teachers will have new resources to share with colleagues.
Resources Featured in the Video
Defining a growth mindset http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2015/12/21/applying-a-growth-mindset-in-the-classroom/
Austin’s butterfly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqh1MRWZjms
A growth mindset explained for students https://ideas.classdojo.com/i/the-maze-trailer
Visual of a growth mindset https://twitter.com/sylviaduckworth/status/555956108700164096
Iceberg visual https://www.pinterest.com/pin/296604325437006036/
Growth Mindset book by Carol Dweeck https://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Success-Carol-Dweck/dp/0345472322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475089531&sr=8-1&keywords=growth+midset
Which step have you reached today? http://principalhelen.edublogs.org/2014/05/27/which-step-have-you-reached-today/
Vocabulary meets music https://www.flocabulary.com/
TodaysMeet to create a backchannel for students of teachers https://todaysmeet.com
Seesaw for digital portfolios http://web.seesaw.me/
Sequencing in real life http://www.augustalabel.com/shrink-sleeves/
Mr. Lee Rapps about rocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkGVE6wNAzo
Mr. Lee has a whole collection of videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2DwkfiWSqRXxZ685AiFdGQ
Super Base singers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZTruxt2rQ
SchoolHouse Rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
Google Keep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
Google Forms become a quiz http://alicekeeler.com/2016/07/09/google-forms-quizzes/
Make Belief Comics http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/
Google StoryBuilder http://docsstorybuilder.appspot.com/builder
Personalized professional development https://www.edsurge.com/research/guides/how-teachers-are-learning-professional-development-remix
What teachers want with professional development http://plpnetwork.com/2015/08/28/10-teachers-professional-development/
Collection of educational hashtags http://www.cybraryman.com/edhashtags.html
Participate in #Spedchat https://www.participate.com/chats/spedchat
Reflex math for fluency https://www.reflexmath.com/
A collection of special ed apps http://spedapps.kent.edu/apps.php
Resources for students with autism http://yukaichou.com/education-gamification/top-ten-apps-to-help-improve-the-lives-of-autism-spectrum-children/?utm_content=buffere81b2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Classroom behavior chart article http://jewishspecialneeds.blogspot.com/2016/09/ditch-clips-why-you-need-to-stop-using-behviors-charts.html?spref=tw
- What was your background knowledge about growth mindset? What did you learn that was new?
- Specifically, how does growth mindset apply to the students you work with? How about the teachers?
- How do you think the book Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance will apply to the students you work with?
- How would you describe Seesaw to a colleague?
- In what ways could your students using Seesaw?
- How would you describe Flocabulary to a colleague?
- How could you use the Google Story Builder with your students?
- How are you currently using social media for personal professional development?
- What resources will you share with team members?
- Take one of the resources from the lesson and explain how you will use it in your practice.