Watch this video and pause to explore. The resources are listed below.
Rational and Outcomes for This Professional Learning
Music teachers have difficulty finding specific professional development just for them, that is why this video is needed.
Outcomes After Watching the Video
- Music teachers will understand the importance of having a growth mindset versus a fixed mindset.
- After the lesson music teachers will have fresh new resources to share with students.
- As a result of this lesson music teachers will understand how to use social media for professional development and to showcase the work of students.
Resources Featured in the Video
Defining a growth mindset http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2015/12/21/applying-a-growth-mindset-in-the-classroom/
Austin’s butterfly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqh1MRWZjms
A growth mindset explained for students https://ideas.classdojo.com/i/the-maze-trailer
Visual of a growth mindset https://twitter.com/sylviaduckworth/status/555956108700164096
Iceberg visual https://www.pinterest.com/pin/296604325437006036/
Growth Mindset book by Carol Dweeck https://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Success-Carol-Dweck/dp/0345472322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475089531&sr=8-1&keywords=growth+midset
Which step have you reached today? http://principalhelen.edublogs.org/2014/05/27/which-step-have-you-reached-today/
Vocabulary meets music https://www.flocabulary.com/
How to make music on the iPad http://linkis.com/www.factmag.com/2016/3XqY3
Technology in the elementary music room http://theeducatorsroom.com/2016/09/technology-in-the-elementary-music-classroom/
Visit Carnegie Hall https://performingarts.withgoogle.com/en_us/performances/carnegie-hall
The Performing arts on Google https://performingarts.withgoogle.com/en_us
YouTube meets music ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCSezKAbY_w
Mr. Lee on You Tube Rapping About Rocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkGVE6wNAzo
Mr. Lee’s YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2DwkfiWSqRXxZ685AiFdGQ
This class rocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZTruxt2rQ
School House Rocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
- What was your background knowledge about growth mindset? What did you learn that was new?
- Specifically, how does growth mindset apply to you music classroom?
- How do you think the book Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance will apply to you?
- How would you describe Seesaw to a colleague?
- In what ways could you use Seesaw in your classroom?
- How would you describe Flocabulary to a colleague?
- How could you use the idea of Flocabulary to make to make connections to content curriculum?
- How would you describe the experience of the virtual visit to Carnegie Hall?
- How do you plan on using social media for personal professional growth?
- What is one resource that was new to you, and how do you plan on using it?