Watch this video pausing to explore the resources linked below.
Rationale and Objectives for this Professional Learning
This video lesson is part of the Strategies That Work Series (STW) with titles that range from the art classroom to the math classroom. This video lesson is filled with practical ways to bring together reading and technology.
This video is needed because there are so many time saving resources for teachers when you use technology in the reading classroom.
Outcomes After Watching the Video
- After watching the video lesson teachers will be able to immediately apply the strategies learned to lesson plans.
- After the video teachers will have a collection of resources they can reference for the future.
- Teachers will be able to share the resources and strategies with colleagues after they watch the video lesson.
Resources Referenced in the Video
The novel Peak https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Roland-Smith/dp/0152062688
Common Core State Standards http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/SL/5/4/
PEAK lesson plans http://rolandsmith.com/curriculum/peak/PEAK%20Teacher%20Pack.pdf
26 Peak Challenges https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Peak-by-Roland-Smith-26-Challenges-NEWLY-REVISED-28619
Amazon Inspire https://www.amazoninspire.com/access
Skype in the Classroom https://education.microsoft.com/skype-in-the-classroom/overview
Everest Base Camp https://www.google.com/maps/about/behind-the-scenes/streetview/treks/the-worlds-highest-peaks/
Nepal images https://www.google.com/maps/streetview/#the-khumbu-nepal
Hangout with some climbers on Mt. Everest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVX0MEGpRY
Student PBL http://www.towerschool.org/page.cfm?p=838
Our first green screen https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8rlmAXWTtjaGk1eE5sYzM5c28
Create a digital portfolio with Seesaw http://web.seesaw.me/
Explore with Google Earth https://www.google.com/earth/
Google Lit Trips http://www.googlelittrips.com/
Hidden Treasures at the Library of Congress https://www.loc.gov/collections/hidden-treasures-at-the-library-of-congress/about-this-collection/
An article about your Paper Brain and your Kindle Brain http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-18/your-paper-brain-and-your-kindle-brain-arent-same-thing
Reading comprehension strategies http://www.teachthought.com/pedagogy/literacy/25-reading-strategies-that-work-in-every-content-area/
Reading strategies book http://www.heinemann.com/readingstrategiesbook/
MyOn a reading platform https://www.myon.com/
Razz Kids https://www.raz-kids.com/
Reading A to Z https://www.learninga-z.com/site/products/
Reading Plus https://www.readingplus.com/
PBS Kids games http://pbskids.org/
Organize your resources with Symbaloo http://www.symbaloo.com/
Adolescent Literature http://www.adlit.org/article/19844/
Read, Write, and Think http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/?tab=2#tabs
Tumble Books http://www.tumblebooklibrary.com/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
Just books read aloud http://www.justbooksreadaloud.com/
Storyline Online http://www.storylineonline.net/
An example of a public library http://www.indypl.org/readytoread/?p=6150
Get Epic https://www.getepic.com
Five reasons for reading and technology http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar12/vol69/num06/Five-Reasons-Readers-Need-Technology.aspx
Contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
Discussion Questions After the Video
Review or Dissemination Question
- How are you currently using technology in the reading classroom?
- Specifically, what apps, or websites do your students use during reading?
- What challenges do you have when using technology during your reading block?
- What strategies did you take out of the section about the Peak novel?
- After watching the section about changing the Peak novel, what is a student project you would like your students to do in the reading classroom?
- There were many different resources shared during this video lesson, specifically select one and write about how you plan on using it.
- What is one resource you currently use, that was NOT covered in this lesson?
- After reflecting on this lesson, what will you change in your reading classroom?
- What did you learn in this module that you will share with your colleagues or students?
- What would you like to learn more about?