Rationale and Objectives
The is fresh new strategies that work for PE teachers delivered in a video lesson.
PE teachers are often isolated from building wide professional development activities, so this video lesson could be used for PE department or by an individual.
Outcomes After Watching the Video
- After this lesson PE teachers will understand the importance of a growth mindset as they work with students.
- As a result of this lesson PE teachers will have a fresh collection of resources to use with students.
- After a PE teacher completes this lesson he or she will be able to share the resources with the department.
Resources Featured in the Video
Defining a growth mindset http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2015/12/21/applying-a-growth-mindset-in-the-classroom/
A growth mindset explained for students https://ideas.classdojo.com/i/the-maze-trailer
Visual of a growth mindset https://twitter.com/sylviaduckworth/status/555956108700164096
Iceberg visual https://www.pinterest.com/pin/296604325437006036/
Growth Mindset book by Carol Dweeck https://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Success-Carol-Dweck/dp/0345472322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475089531&sr=8-1&keywords=growth+midset
Which step have you reached today? http://principalhelen.edublogs.org/2014/05/27/which-step-have-you-reached-today/
A new free recruiting app http://www.schollyme.com/
Create your own treasure map http://www.classtools.net/mapgame/
We map your lists http://www.zeemaps.com/
Scribble maps http://www.scribblemaps.com/
Map your list http://www.mapyourlist.com/
A Twitter chat about digital badging https://storify.com/principalkmelt/iledchat-digital-badges-7-21-14?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email
Class badges http://classbadges.com/
Open Badge project http://openbadges.org/
Connect with other PE teachers around the globe https://physedmap.com/
The Physical Educator http://thephysicaleducator.com/
The #PEchat http://thephysicaleducator.com/pechat/
TaylorMade Instagram https://www.instagram.com/taylormadegolf/
Danny’s YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuc5uZs7ENA99xPsukTEoiQ
Drone on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cND-4LPyjU
Formative assessment Flip Quiz http://flipquiz.me/
Go Formative http://goformative.com/
Review or Dissemination Question
- Before this video lesson what was your understanding of the body of research about growth mindset?
- What did you learn about a growth mindset that will help you in your role as PE teacher, coach, or parent?
- Grit is specifically important in sports, how do you plan on sharing this information with students?
- Earning badges was a concept introduced. What are your thoughts about badging?
- What are your thoughts about connecting with other PE teachers outside of your school?
- Explain in a few sentences how Twitter could help you create personal professional development.
- What are your reflections after watching the Instagram golf campaign?
- Formative assessment should be seamless and ongoing. How are you currently using formative assessment?
- From the formative assessment tools, which one will you explore first, and why?
- After watching this video lesson, what will you share with your colleagues?