Rationale and Objectives for this Professional Learning
This is a professional development lesson about current trends with technology in the media center.
It is a challenge to find specific professional development for librarians and media center directors, therefore we created this module.
Outcomes After Watching the Video
- After this module the participants will be able to research a variety of resources.
- As a result of this lesson participants will be able to disseminate resources to colleagues.
- After the lesson participants will have new resources to share with students.
Resources From the Video
The School Library Journal http://www.slj.com/#_
Breakout Edu http://www.breakoutedu.com/
Common Lit https://www.commonlit.org/
Five ways libraries are adapting for the future http://geiendorsed.com/blog/beyond-the-classroom/five-ways-libraries-are-adapting-for-the-future/?utm_content=buffer9862a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Go Guardian https://www.goguardian.com/
Skype in the Classroom https://education.microsoft.com/skype-in-the-classroom/overview
Your Paper Brain and Kindle Brain http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-18/your-paper-brain-and-your-kindle-brain-arent-same-thing
A great reading strategies book http://www.heinemann.com/readingstrategiesbook/
Renovated Learning http://renovatedlearning.com/makerspace-resources/
Genius hour http://www.geniushour.com/
An article about genius hour http://www.edutopia.org/blog/genius-hour-essentials-personalized-education-nichole-carter
Getting started with genius hour http://www.edutopia.org/groups/personalized-learning/802456
Genius hour resources http://www.livebinders.com/play/play?id=829279
The Show Me librarian http://showmelibrarian.blogspot.com/p/all-things-steam.html
Skokie Library Boombox https://skokielibrary.info/services/boombox/
Watch a video about the Boombox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubBpTeAptU
Pinterest STEM resources https://www.pinterest.com/sljournal/steam/
Robots Kitchen https://robottestkitchen.com/about/
STEAM pop-up programs http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2014/10/thinking-about-steam-as-pop-up-programs/
- What is happening currently with technology in the media center?
- What are three specific things you would like to change about the physical space?
- What programming would you like to change?
- Scheduling is such a challenge, what would you like to change about yours?
- How are you currently using social media for personal professional development?
- After watching this lesson, what are your thoughts about BreakoutEDU?
- What are your ideas for creating a makerspace?
- How could Genius Hour become part of the media center?
- What are three specific resources you will share with colleagues?
- What is happening with STEM/STEAM in your building and how would you like to change?